Although the calendar still says August, I am already dreaming about textured wool skirts, suede boots, and chunky knit sweaters. But, the switch from breezy summer faves to cozy fall staples is not quite as easy as 1-day closet switchover. One very simple way I’ve found to bridge the gap? Add tights. And, this season I am obsessed with patterned tights.
Apparently, I am not the only one.
According to author Gladys Lai in the article “Are patterned tights the most unexpected trend of 2021?” for VOGUE, “the latest slew of autumn/winter ’21/’22 collections has seen colourful tights take front and centre stage. Bold, patterned and shoe-covering, designers across our sartorial capitals have embraced the stocking with gusto. At Prada, models strutted through multi-textural rooms in hosiery rendered all the brighter under navy skirt suits. Prabal Gurung’s polka-dotted fantasy extended to his pantyhose, slipped daintily into platform loafers. Yeezy-backed wunderkind Maisie Wilen meanwhile, dabbled in tie-dye, serving us monochromatic orange visions of bodycon turtlenecks and stockings in sandals.”
Patterned stockings may be fashion-forward, but for the novice, they can be tricky to wear. Here are a few tips to rock this look:
- Mix it up. Paired with solids, patterned stockings and tights are always a safe bet. If you want to mix it up, it’s best to stick with just two patterns and vary the size. (Oversized houndstooth check jacket, solid skirt, and micro-dotted stockings, for example).
- Show a little leg. The point is to show off those legs! So, you can go a bit shorter than you might ordinarily. Make those stockings the star of the show!
- Peek-a-boo. Conversely, over the knee boots paired with short skirt, and just a bit of truly bold patterned stockings or tights (animal print, all-over lace, harlequin) peeking out, can be an amazing Saturday night look.
- Step it up. Proper footwear is essential. For every day, I love ankle boots with just a bit of a heel. The combination of the rugged boot and sexy patterned stockings is a real winner.
- Pack an extra pair. Patterned stockings just shout Look at me! So, a snag or a run will be magnified.
Some of my favorite patterned tights this season are from Berkshire Hosiery. They offer incredibly lightweight options that are just right for fall and have a silky feel, sheer coverage, and a sandalfoot, but also a firm control top. Two faves? Lace Stripe Net Openwork and Climbing Vine Openwork. Both are stunning and right on trend.
A few others I absolutely love include Silky Sheer Dot and Diamond Net Openwork. Although these are my personal picks, Berkshire offers so many individual looks. You are sure to find not only essential lightweight patterned tights, but also great solids and heavier tights for winter.
To see the entire line, visit Berkshire Hosiery.
Thanks so much for reading! While you’re here, please don’t forget to enter some of our new giveaways. To see giveaways around the Internet, or add your own, visit our LINKY. And, if you enjoyed this How to Wear Patterned Tights post, visit Women’s Fashion for more fashion trends.
HOW TO GET YOUR PRODUCTS FEATURED AT SUSAN SAID… WHAT?! If you have a fashion, beauty, home or garden product line and want an honest evaluation, or if you would like to create a giveaway event, please contact us.
DISCLAIMER: No financial compensation was received in exchange for this How to Wear Patterned Tights post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I believe will be beneficial for my readers.
Susan Said… WHAT?! is your guide to real style for the way you live. From fabulous fashion and accessories finds, to gorgeous garden and interiors ideas, plus products and tips for throwing parties, weddings, and events of all kinds.