Have you ever noticed how great Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge’s legs always look? It’s not magic. Or great genes. She wears stockings! Sheer stockings and pantyhose have been on the “Out List” for more than a dozen years now. But, the bare leg trend finally seems to be faltering. Because when Kate embraces a style, the whole world pays attention.
Kate most often chooses a nude stocking. Once the ultimate faux-pas for fashionistas, this look really is flawless, even if you don’t have Kate’s shapely gams.
But, old ladies wear stockings, you sigh. They’re uncomfortable, you moan. And darn it, they run, you wail.
But, stockings and pantyhose are worth the effort! Here’s why:
- They camouflage bruises, scrapes, and even a missed day of shaving.
- Stockings make heels infinitely more comfortable.
- They give an outfit a level of polish that bare legs simply can’t.
- They provide an extra layer of protection and keep legs warm on chilly spring days.
- Stockings and pantyhose are available in a huge range of colors. No more selecting between appalling “suntan” and dingy “taupe.”
- Pantyhose will smooth out bumps and bulges for a sleek, svelte look.
- Matching stockings and shoes (or stockings shoes and skirt) gives the illusion of height.
New looks to try!
One of my favorite old-turned-new looks for spring is the off white stocking for a monochromatic look that is stunning in its simplicity. In fact, Valentino’s Spring Ready to Wear show was simply filled with monochromatic looks in every shade – from spring green, to dusky blue, to ruby red (colored stockings and matching shoes included!).
In addition to a monochromatic look, I adore off white stockings paired with seashell pink, dusky blue, nude or oatmeal colored pumps. It’s romantic and chic at the same time.
One of the best options I’ve found is Berkshire Shimmers in Ivory from Berkshire Hosiery. These stockings are the ultimate in luxury. They are feather light, silky soft, and so sheer. They have a control top for a smooth look and the barest hint of a shimmer. Retail: $7.95
Another great look for spring is Berkshire Shimmers in Platinum. This color is close to ivory, but with cool gray undertones, instead of warm ones. Paired with dove gray pumps and a fit and flare spring dress – stunning!
4 no no’s when wearing pantyhose
- “Sandalfoot” is a misnomer. No stockings and open toed shoes… ever.
- Never wear a skirt so short that the control top of your stockings shows beneath the hem (I actually saw this the other night while out to dinner).
- The only person who looks good in ripped stockings is Courtney Love. In 2009.
- Choose nudes Traditional “Suntan” is… sorry, there are no words.
The best stockings and pantyhose for Spring
To see a truly wonderful selection of stockings, tights, and pantyhose for today’s fashionable woman, visit Berkshire Hosiery. Berkshire Hosiery offers high quality, well fitting, and fashion forward hosiery.
It’s manufactured right here in the USA using only premium yarns. And, many of its manufacturing processes are still done by hand for an exceptional level of attention to detail.
Other faves from the new spring line at Berkshire Hosiery include Black Dot, Diamond, Back Seam, Fishnet, Ultra-Sheers and Shimmers, and Lace Waist Ultra Sheers, Lace Top Thigh Highs.
So many choices. Kate Middleton would be proud.
Thanks so much for reading! While you’re here, please don’t forget to enter our most recent fashion, beauty and style giveaways. And, if you enjoyed this post, visit Women’s Fashion for more beauty and fashion trends.
DO YOU NEED A PRODUCT REVIEW? WANT TO CREATE A GIVEAWAY OF YOUR PRODUCTS? If you have a fashion, beauty or style product line and want an honest evaluation, or if you would like to create a giveaway or promotional event, please contact us.
PHOTO: Image used with permission by Berkshire Hosiery.
DISCLAIMER: No financial compensation was received in exchange for this post. However, I did receive a product sample of the Berkshire Hosiery items mentioned above. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I believe will be good for my readers.
Susan Said…WHAT?! was named one of the Top 50 Beauty Blogs in the World by RebateZone.com and is your guide to a life filled with style. Inside, you’ll find everything from must-have fashion and accessories, to gorgeous gardens, stunning interiors, plus the latest products for parties, weddings, and events of all kinds. In addition to editing Susan Said… WHAT?!, Susan Conforte McNeill is an author, entrepreneur, and co-founder of the literacy organization Success Won’t Wait!