A vacation capsule wardrobe is nothing new. Airline baggage fees, however, have climbed to an all-time high this summer. So, curating the perfect vacation wardrobe has taken on even greater importance – if you want any cash left when you reach your destination. According to Trip Advisor, popular American Airlines baggage fees in the US can top $150! (1st Bag: $25, 2nd Bag: $35, 3rd Bag: $150.) Yikes!
Where should you start? When putting together a vacation capsule wardrobe, each piece selected should function in multiple ways. By coordinating colors and patterns, many more combinations are possible. So, you can pack fewer pieces, lightening that suitcase!
More tricks include:
- Carrying your beach tote as a carry-on. Pack with a swimsuit and extra outfit in case luggage is temporarily lost.
- Reduce toiletries to the essentials and decant into small, travel-sized bottles.
- Plan to wear it twice. And, use lightweight accessories like scarves or jewelry to change the look of basic foundation pieces.
- Packing a sunhat? Wear it on the airplane. (You will need to remove it, however, to get through security.)
Where not to skimp:
- Comfortable shoes, sandals, or sneaks are a must.
- Sunblock, bug spray, or aloe are absolutely essential for active, outdoorsy vacations and can be prohibitively pricey if purchased on site.
- Swimsuits weigh almost nothing. Pack several (but keep bulky cover-ups to a minimum). I like a featherweight pareo that matches everything and can double as a shawl on cool evenings.
I’ve showcased a easy, adaptable vacation capsule wardrobe, above. Mix the pieces. Match them. And, look fabulous during that much-needed vacation!
Thanks so much for reading! While you’re here, please don’t forget to enter our most recent fashion, beauty and style giveaways. And, if you enjoyed this Vacation Capsule Wardrobe post, visit Women’s Fashion for more beauty and fashion trends and style inspiration.
DO YOU NEED A PRODUCT REVIEW OR GIVEAWAY? If you have a fashion, beauty or style product line and want an honest evaluation, or if you would like to create a giveaway or promotional event, please contact us.
PHOTOS: Used with permission. The Vacation Capsule Wardrobe collage was created using Polyvore.
DISCLAIMER: No financial compensation was received in exchange for this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will be good for my readers.
Named one of the Top 50 Beauty Blogs in the World by RebateZone.com, Susan Said… WHAT?! has been your guide to a life filled with style since 2009. From must-have fashion, handbags, jewelry and accessories, to gorgeous gardens and gardening tips, stunning interior design, plus the latest products for chic parties, you’ll find it here. Editor, author and entrepreneur Susan Conforte McNeill is also the co-founder of the Delaware based literacy organization Success Won’t Wait!