According to Pantone, “the global authority on color and provider of professional color standards for the design industries” fashionable yellow is the color of the year. “In a time of economic uncertainty and political change, optimism is paramount and no other color expresses hope and reassurance more than yellow,” the firm says.
Pantone continues, “Best illustrated by the abundant flowers of the Mimosa tree and the sparkle of the brilliantly hued cocktail, the 2009 color of the year represents the hopeful and radiant characteristics associated with the color yellow. Mimosa is a versatile shade that coordinates with any other color, has appeal for men and women, and translates to both fashion and interiors. Look for women’s accessories, home furnishings, active sportswear and men’s ties and shirts in this vibrant hue.”
This is good news because I love yellow! It’s a happy color that makes me smile – and works especially well in spring and summer. Unfortunately, like some people, I have a difficult time finding just the right shade. Too green-y and I look sick. Too orange-y and I look sick. Too mustard-y and … well, you get the idea. But I am determined to wear this fabulous color and you can, too. The trick is to keep the color away from your face, so even if it’s not “your” yellow, you can still wear the trend and not look… well, you know.
So, what works?
- A big, wide belt does double duty, creating an hourglass silhouette, as well as providing a shot of bright lemony color.
- Accessories like one of the new “tall totes” or playful wedges add a pop of color and instantly update an outfit that’s become stale.
- A skirt with buttercup-yellow prominently featured in the print will add a burst of sunshine to your day.
- A scarf can be worn as a sash, knotted on the handle of a bag or tied around the brim of a straw hat.
- For jewelry, my personal favorite – yellow diamonds. Or, if the budget doesn’t allow (and whose does these days?) a few yellow Murano glass beads for the Trollbeads bracelet.
Want your own fabulous style… free? Enter to win our fashion and jewelry giveaways! And, if you enjoyed this Fashionable Yellow is Pantone’s Color of the Year post, please visit the Women’s Fashion category tab for even more fashion trends.
Susan Said… WHAT?! is your guide to a life filled with style. From must-have fashion and accessories, to gorgeous gardens, stunning interiors, plus the latest products for parties, weddings, and events of all kinds.
DISCLAIMER: No financial compensation was received in exchange for this Fashionable Yellow is Pantone’s Color of the Year post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I believe will be good for my readers.