The fall clothing transition can be challenging. Although the calendar says October, the thermometer still reads in the low 70s. My summer faves look out of place, but so do textured wool skirts and chunky knit sweaters. One very easy way I’ve found to bridge the gap? Simply add stockings. And, this season I am obsessed with patterned stockings.
Apparently, I am not the only one.
According to fashion insider publication Footwear News in a recent article 6 Reasons Why Hosiery is Shaping Up to Be One of Fall’s Biggest Trends, “Hosiery is making a big comeback for fall and there were plenty of examples at New York Fashion Week. Basic black tights are fail-proof, but the season’s best offerings involve a bit more risk taking, with colors, embellishments and the perennial fishnet.”
Patterned stockings may be fashion-forward, but for the novice, they can be tricky to wear. Here are a few tips to rock this look:
- Mix it up. Paired with solids, patterned stockings and tights are always a safe bet. If you want to mix it up, it’s best to stick with just two patterns and vary the size. (Oversized houndstooth check jacket, solid skirt, and micro-dotted stockings, for example).
- Show a little leg. The point is to show off those legs! So, you can go a bit shorter than you might ordinarily. Make those stockings the star of the show!
- Peek-a-boo. Conversely, over the knee boots paired with short skirt, and just a bit of truly bold patterned stockings or tights (animal print, all-over lace, harlequin) peeking out, can be an amazing Saturday night look.
- Step it up. Proper footwear is essential. For every day, I love this season’s ankle boots with just a bit of a heel. The combination of the rugged boot and sexy patterned stockings is a winner.
- Pack an extra pair. Patterned stockings just shout Look at me! So, a snag or a run will be magnified.
Two of my favorite patterned stockings this season are from Berkshire Hosiery. These are incredibly lightweight options that are just right for fall. They feature a silky, sheer leg and sandalfoot, but also have a firm control top.
- Sheer Diamonds. These stockings really make a statement! More subtle than a traditional fishnet, these still pack a big design punch. I’ve paired them with a simple black cotton sheath dress (a summer go-to), black leather Chelsea boots, and a cascade style sweater, making the ultimate summer-to-fall transition outfit for work! $8.25, plus free shipping
- Sheer Chevrons. 100% glam. These tights are oh-so-bold and graphic. They simply cry out for a short skirt and heels. And, the strong vertical pattern is guaranteed to make your legs look longer and thinner (and who doesn’t like that?!). $8.25, plus free shipping
A few others I absolutely love include Bold Dots and Sheer Dot. Although these are my personal picks, Berkshire offers well over 100 individual looks. So, you are sure to find not only essential patterned stockings, but also great solids and heavier tights for winter.
To see the entire line, visit Berkshire Hosiery.
Thanks so much for reading! While you’re here, please don’t forget to enter some of our new giveaways. To see giveaways around the Internet, or add your own, visit our LINKY. And, if you enjoyed this How to Wear Patterned Stockings post, visit Women’s Fashion for more beauty and fashion trends.
HOW TO GET YOUR PRODUCTS FEATURED AT SUSAN SAID… WHAT?! If you have a fashion, beauty, home or garden style product line and want an honest evaluation, or if you would like to create a giveaway or promotional event, please contact us.
DISCLAIMER: No financial compensation was received in exchange for this How to Wear Patterned Stockings post. I did, however, receive product samples in order to provide an honest evaluation. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I believe will be beneficial for my readers.
Susan Said… WHAT?! is your guide to real style for the way you live. From fabulous fashion and accessories finds, to gorgeous garden and interiors ideas, plus products and tips for throwing parties, weddings, and events of all kinds.