One of the best parts of living on the East Coast is that we get to experience all four seasons. While I may occasionally gripe about the mountains of snow in winter or blistering heat in summer, I do love the beautiful fall foliage and the excitement of new shoots in spring. I also enjoy decorating for each season which requires a bit of a home overhaul every few months.
In fall, there are branches, pheasant feathers, and gourds. In winter, the entire house gets the full-on Christmas treatment. For spring, I go a little crazy with birdhouses and nests. And in summer, although my house is landlocked, it becomes a “beach house.”
Here are my top, budget-friendly tips for adding beachy style to your home:
- Start at the front door. Your porch or front step sets the tone. Add a welcoming beachy wreath, clever signage, rocking chairs (and a small table for sweet tea), a coastal-inspired flag… whatever works for you.
- Crisp white immediately transports you to the coast. White slipcovers for couches, loveseats and chairs offer instant impact, and are incredibly affordable. Bonus: They are washable!
- Unearth the seashells you gathered on your last family vacation and display them. I have chunks of coral on my bookcase, crystal bowls filled with small shells in the dining room, and bits of driftwood on the kitchen windowsill.
- Let the sun in! Ditch heavy, wintery draperies and fussy window treatments for a lighter approach. Sheers alone, or simple white drapes, lighten the mood of any room.
- Add a pop of color. Tropical shades such as turquoise and orange, or shades of blue, make me long for the shore. Pillows are an easy fix. But, lampshades, dining table runners, and throws offer other ways to incorporate beachy textiles on a temporary basis.
- Swap out a formal rug for jute, or leave beautiful wood floors bare.
- Don’t forget the back yard. Rather than replace all of the patio furniture, try paint. Krylon and Rust-Oleum both make easy-to-use spray paint in a rainbow of hues. And, there are even spray paints specifically designed to use on plastic. So, your imagination is the only limit!
Now, I’m ready to hit the beach…
From the latest fashion and accessories, to garden and interior inspiration, plus the latest products and tips for throwing parties, weddings, and events of all kinds, Susan Said… WHAT?! is your guide to living life in style.
DISCLAIMER: No financial compensation was received in exchange for this “Budget-friendly tips for adding beachy style to your home” post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe will be good for my readers.