£13 – umbrellaheaven.com
$650 – jcrew.com
With Hurricane Irene rapidly bearing down on us here on the East Coast, my thoughts today are more about the safety of my family and friends, than looking chic. (Although I do tend to react true to my nature during disasters — and managed to save my luggage while being rescuing by the Coast Guard from a sinking ship once. But that’s another story!)
To prepare for Irene, today I checked the National Weather Service for a basic hurricane safety checklist including:
• Find out if you live in an evacuation area. Know your home’s vulnerability to storm surge, flooding and wind.
• Double check the supplies in your disaster supply kit and replace batteries. (Read more about what goes into Creating a Disaster Supply Kit.)
• Monitor NOAA Weather Radio for real-time weather information and warnings.
• If a storm threatens, heed the advice from local authorities. Evacuate if ordered. (Read more about Having a Place to Go.)
• Execute your family plan. (Learn more about Developing a Family Plan.)
• Don’t forget to secure your home. (Learn more about Securing your Home.)
• If you’ve got a pet, please don’t leave them behind! Not all temporary shelters allow pets. (Learn more about Having a Pet Plan.)
Please stay safe everyone!
Susan McNeill is a wife, mother, author, entrepreneur and the co-founder of the literacy organization Success Won’t Wait! In addition to Susan Said What?! Susan also writes for It’s how you play the game!, Success Won’t Wait! and new for 2011 The Best Christmas Ever!